Skip to main content

Year of Refraction - Bidding Adieu to 2019

This Year went by so fast, really stressful, eventful, and yet so refreshing (at the end). It reaffirmed some of my beliefs. It changed me as a person. A lot happened (as it happens to each of us) and we all could make it to 2020 together.

I'm trying out writing little longer blogs because I got the feedback that my Blogs were too short, leaving few craving for more. I think I wrote hastily as my thoughts paced through my brain without really elaborating them a lot. I'm trying to be more patient while writing now.

What was 2019 for me?

I was listening to a podcast about how Mind can be stuck in a vicious circle of overthinking and not being able to do what it wants to do. This is a signal from the body to change something. Of course, it becomes frustrating and you just don't know how to get out of that circle. As the podcast quotes Tony Robins -
When you're in your head you're dead.
My 2019 had a similar cycle of trying to control or fix the conditions which weren't supposed to get fixed (at least by me). It is like banging your head against a wall and at the end when you are hurt, you learn - you shouldn't have banged your head. Instead, should have just walked by the side to find an end of the wall or walked away conveniently (Though I decided to but didn't. I should listen to myself more often).

What did I do in 2019 for myself?

The only way to break these circles of thoughts is to break the pattern, break the pattern physically so that you can come out of it mentally. It is totally you who will do this. Others can only do the talking, supporting, advising, counseling or prescribing medicines.

I went for Hill walks, explored hiking with my sweetheart Bitches (Coffee & Cookie) and Wanderer Group. On my routine morning walks, I made few Hill Buddies. I fed them, patted them, walked with them and it melted my heart every time I saw them wagging their tails. It gave at least a break for a couple of hours from the routine and lots of Fresh Air.


Katraj to Sinhgad - Night Trek with Humans and Dogs

It is amazing to experience the feeling of existence. Whenever I went for Tekdi Walks, I had one or a few dogs walking along with me. Though I'm an accidental Dog Person or Owner, I have started to enjoy their company. There was one of them (writing it as "was" is heart-wrenching). 
I could never understand and will never forget the feeling of seeing him running towards me, walking beside me and howling whenever we met after a week as if he is complaining, "Where have you been?".
I saw him as a pup, got him spayed, never climbed the Baner Tekdi without him. And by the end of 2019, I couldn't even find him. I miss you every single time when I'm on Tekdi. I expected a longer relationship with you "Siyaar". I hope, it was easy in your last moments. If you got adopted, I wish you a good life. You are always in my heart!
During the year, I lost a few more of them. Don't even know if they are alive.

Apart from the dogs, the year had been exciting. My sister got married and I like to assume that her expectations were met :P 
But But But... True happiness came during the last 2019 fortnight. I'm not sure if it was a good hair-cut which gave me the feeling of throwing away the rubbish part of 2019 or I just loved my hair cut (after a long long time...). 
A good hair-cut can do wonders, you never know!!!

How 2019 enlightened me?

  • I became more compassionate (that's what I want to believe) and it is a beautiful feeling. Whatever great lines of code you write, whatever money comes in your account, it can give a temporary feeling of Superiority. But, spending unconditionally for someone who doesn't expect you to spend and in return, can give loads of love irrespective of how much you spend, gives joy without feeling superior. Strangely True. Yeah, but you still have to earn so that you can spend.
  • For some reason, I saw the positive and negative sides of Possessiveness and Obsession. I'm still not aware of what it is doing to me. It might take some time to feel comfortable to write about it. These are overwhelming emotions and they need a serious check (probably meditational breathing) so that they don't overpower oneself.
  • I realized every argument is not worth a conversation. I prefer to believe that any conversation should enrich you with some insight. Arguing only for the sake of putting across your point is like a late-night debate show where everyone is shouting and no one is listening. Even though being silent doesn't help, instead, it is convenient (maybe not the right word) to be apathetic and move on.
  • My tolerance benchmark has moved up for sure. I'm ready for the next decade. Though I'm not at all tolerant for anything against my Bitches (my Bro had a bitter encounter of that. And, I can't believe it happened!)
  • I can (have always been able to) see myself flawed, not because I'm not able to point fingers at others. Instead, I'm flawed because I can't convince myself to manipulate things differently in front of different people. Or maybe I already do. I'm ok with that. Some of the life experiments are full of odor but you can't be sure if the fragrances which people are talking about will be of your liking either. 
How did you change in 2019?
I would like to traverse 2020 (as they say - "The Year of Rat") along with all of you and pursue a common Personal Goal.

Self-esteem is the ability to see yourself as a flawed individual and still hold yourself in regard. ...Esther Perel
Also published at - https://medium.com/@amrita127rai/year-of-refraction-bidding-adieu-to-2019-d4fc5b99919d 

Comments

  1. Beautiful as always... & For the point of being flawed... I believe everyone has the right to do mistakes but obviously learn from that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree... learn and improve - that's how we grow

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For The Sake of Civility

As I drive across the road, I see a dead body lying in the middle of the road; people driving around it to avoid driving over it. Its internal organs have come out of the anus or stomach, not sure. I just see something coming out of the body, like the intestine. I feel really bad and drive away. I see a boy on the bike, who also saw that body lying there and couldn't make up his mind whether he shall go back or move on like me or many others. After all, it was just a puppy, drenched in pouring rain, probably starved for a few days, weak. He stood there thinking, till I could see him, and then I drove ahead thinking the same if I should have stopped, moved that body aside and called municipal for picking it up.  I felt like vomiting, not sure due to the condition of that dead body or my inability to do something. It might have been a genuine accident case, but doesn't that puppy expect some basic respect? Can we term it as Hit-and-Run case or I'm just overreacting?

Dogs and Wanderers

As they say,  Life changes when you have a Kid and I say, it changes dramatically when you have a Pet. I have 2 beautiful bitches which most of you already know. I’m one of those first-time Pet Parents who want to do little more for their pets than daily walks of Potty and Pee. Nothing wrong with those walks, only that I wish to experience the feeling of having a pet in a different way. I want them to explore, go on long drives, see beaches, get dirty, and spread love.  Daag achchhe hote hain 😋 The hidden truth is my bitches love going out, even if it is for the whole day 🙄. And that’s the vision for  Dogs and Wanderers .  The group plans free local outings over the weekend at different Tekdis of Pune and once-a-month pocket-friendly overnight camping.   Yippie !!! And Dogs and Wanderers   is featured in Times of India today!   We have a lot of Pet Parents interested to join , which justifies the vision of this group. This group was formed to make it pos

For the love of Coffee

4 months since my last blog, I so missed it. But was too overwhelmed to write anything. Do you ask why?  Flashback flashback flashback !!! I'm raised in a family where I have interacted only with humans. That doesn't mean we looked down on other species. Just that we did not love them enough to make them member of house. Only animal that I had probably touched and adored would be Cat. They seem easy to be overpowered, thus harmless. Yeah I have got some good survival instincts! Then I grew up, keeping safe distance from non-Human species on earth. Even safer distance from Dogs after my brother got bitten by a crazy dog. You know, biting is still manageable, but injections... I will rather take longer route. And the day came, when it happened. I still don't believe how, so let's pass on the blame to Destiny. I  brought home a pet Dog. Yes, i t does all crazy stuff. 1 month female Doberman. She (for me it's she, not it) was on my lap, lic