Skip to main content

Corporate Stories - E1 :: Helplessness - The day she breaks down

Achala was restless, confused; thinking when all did go wrong. She could not believe the conversation that she had today. It was going over and over, still did not make sense. She has worked so hard, she always has. "Is this my fault?" rings in her head. "Am I not good enough? Just an average software professional who can never make it to the top. But I tried everything.", she screamed in her head. 

Girish is home early today than his usual time. "What's wrong?" He senses her mood as he walks in. Seeing him gave her the courage to be weak and she broke down into tears. 
"I'm going to get fired. I worked so hard." She kept crying and nothing else would come out.
He holds her in his arm, "Tell me what has happened?" 
"I don't know. They might fire me".
"For what?"
"Because it is not working out. And all the blame is on me. It had never worked in the first place." And her head is spinning thinking about all the expenses whether Home loan EMI, Bills and so many payments that need to be paid. Damn, I earn a lot!
"Alright, calm down." But tears don't stop. Girish calls Achala's near and dear friend Karan to tell him that she doesn't stop crying. 

Karan has known Achala since childhood. They are as close as any other sibling and have managed to stay in touch and connected.

"Stop worrying about money, we are there!" 
Did she tell him that she has been worried about that? He understands and more tears find their way out. Karan keeps talking while trying to keep the tone neutral so that she doesn't sense the sadness in his voice. "What are you worried about? Who will get another job if you won't? And you know they can't fire you like that. It is not that easy. Stop crying now, freshen up and call me." Karan said. She knew he is only trying to make her feel better, and she felt better for some time. 

Achala didn't feel like talking or doing anything. It has been the same for the past few months. For the first time in her decade-long career, she didn't feel like going to work. She had lost excitement to work in that office, with those people and for the work itself.

She was immersed in her thoughts. My situation is so much like that dog sitting outside the office. I don't know what to do, where to go, what has happened to me. 
She remembered the day that male dog was sitting in the corner of the entrance, not looking at anyone, stinking, helpless. She was returning from her coffee break, possibly the only time that she enjoyed in the office. A couple of people told her that we need to get rid of him, it can't sit inside the office premises. She went over and the dog seemed to be in bad shape, also hungry. She gave him a few biscuits so that she can take a look at his wounds. Water was dripping from one of the ears, it was wounded and stinking pretty bad. She had never noticed him with the usual dog gang around that area. But there was no time. She called Girish and he said whatever way we can help to save a life, let's do that.

Once again she couldn't stop admiring Girish for being such a person who makes that U-turn from the other side of the road, only to help a person and even an animal. At times it is annoying but she loves him for that. At times she wishes he change and most of the time, stay who he is.

Jolting back to the earlier cloud of thoughts, she remembered how it took almost 2-3 months of dedicated care and routine checkup for that dog to recover and be healthy enough to demand his share for daily lunch. 

What if I had not seen him? What if he would have been shooed away? Or what if I had not called Girish? Or if I had not decided to help thinking I can't or I won't or someone else will.

Today when I'm wounded like that dog, does anyone see me at all? I'm not even as lucky as he was?
And she couldn't control the stream of tears, yet again.

Possibly, this is what sets Leaders and Managers apart.
Leaders know who, when, and how to help without making one uncomfortable and humiliated.
While Managers wait for someone to ask for help because they don't know how to lift them up.

It all started a few months back when her current company got acquired. She was a cloud expert, involved in design discussion, converting on-paper architecture to actual implementation. Though the company boasted a flat structure, the ladder was quite apparent. She thought maybe this is it, this is what I want to work hard for and grow with.

The murmurs were that the product will get bigger with this acquisition. She was excited.
But to her surprise with the acquisition, some of the strategies changed and the top management decided to move her out of the Cloud expert role and move to another project to provide customer support. 
She couldn’t decide how it fits her profile but the top management asked her to focus on making this great project profitable again. 

She wasn’t sure but thought it could be an opportunity to grow differently and anyways the project is doomed. What could be worse than that!
And few days in the new role, she realized that she is sailing a Titanic - an engineering giant yet a very well-managed failure. Yet she decided to give it a try, maybe she can make it work. And, nobody wanted to get their hands dirty in that mud. She thought she could walk away clean out of it.
But little did she know, if she was expecting to rise with the success of it, either she was going to get burnt to ashes with its failure or she had to rise like a phoenix to find herself again.

*** Tips and Tricks ***
The leadership is to be able to help or mentor ones who don't know if there is a problem. Or the least managers could help create a conducive environment, where one can make a mistake and still not feel humiliated. 
That's how you build trust and at the same time make them feel accountable for their actions. 
Isn't it?

Update - Based on the suggestion of a friend, modified the Tips and Tricks section to make it more relatable to the story context.

Comments

  1. This is really awesome Amrita ....In fact leadership is not ability to command but an art to act .I like previous article 'Men in My life '...it was my first ever article that I read which states importance of men in life .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an impactful article!. Today, specifically in Indian corporate, leadership is a big crisis. The big frustration mounts when a manager tries lead or a leader tries to manage. The piercing of soul happens when a manager/supervisor tries to behave like a leader on reading leadership traits and behaviours in Google/YouTube or attending workshops... that's horrible.

    Amrita, you have highlighted inner voice of many professionals who are, unfortunately, not privileged of a good leadership.

    Once, someone asked me.... Are you a good leader?.... I said, not sure whether I am even a leadership material.. but I am certain that if anyone works with me I ensure that his/her professional value would be doubled in two years.

    Great article .... keep them churning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So truly mentioned. When a leader imagines a vision - it causes chaos and disruption. To execute that vision, one needs a manager who can bring an order to chaos.
      Both have their own place. Motivational Gurus need to stop downplaying managerial skills.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For The Sake of Civility

As I drive across the road, I see a dead body lying in the middle of the road; people driving around it to avoid driving over it. Its internal organs have come out of the anus or stomach, not sure. I just see something coming out of the body, like the intestine. I feel really bad and drive away. I see a boy on the bike, who also saw that body lying there and couldn't make up his mind whether he shall go back or move on like me or many others. After all, it was just a puppy, drenched in pouring rain, probably starved for a few days, weak. He stood there thinking, till I could see him, and then I drove ahead thinking the same if I should have stopped, moved that body aside and called municipal for picking it up.  I felt like vomiting, not sure due to the condition of that dead body or my inability to do something. It might have been a genuine accident case, but doesn't that puppy expect some basic respect? Can we term it as Hit-and-Run case or I'm just overreacting?

Dogs and Wanderers

As they say,  Life changes when you have a Kid and I say, it changes dramatically when you have a Pet. I have 2 beautiful bitches which most of you already know. I’m one of those first-time Pet Parents who want to do little more for their pets than daily walks of Potty and Pee. Nothing wrong with those walks, only that I wish to experience the feeling of having a pet in a different way. I want them to explore, go on long drives, see beaches, get dirty, and spread love.  Daag achchhe hote hain 😋 The hidden truth is my bitches love going out, even if it is for the whole day 🙄. And that’s the vision for  Dogs and Wanderers .  The group plans free local outings over the weekend at different Tekdis of Pune and once-a-month pocket-friendly overnight camping.   Yippie !!! And Dogs and Wanderers   is featured in Times of India today!   We have a lot of Pet Parents interested to join , which justifies the vision of this group. This group was formed to make it pos

For the love of Coffee

4 months since my last blog, I so missed it. But was too overwhelmed to write anything. Do you ask why?  Flashback flashback flashback !!! I'm raised in a family where I have interacted only with humans. That doesn't mean we looked down on other species. Just that we did not love them enough to make them member of house. Only animal that I had probably touched and adored would be Cat. They seem easy to be overpowered, thus harmless. Yeah I have got some good survival instincts! Then I grew up, keeping safe distance from non-Human species on earth. Even safer distance from Dogs after my brother got bitten by a crazy dog. You know, biting is still manageable, but injections... I will rather take longer route. And the day came, when it happened. I still don't believe how, so let's pass on the blame to Destiny. I  brought home a pet Dog. Yes, i t does all crazy stuff. 1 month female Doberman. She (for me it's she, not it) was on my lap, lic