Skip to main content

26 July, 2005: A downpour to remember

Yesterday's downpour in Mumbai brought back the memory of 26 July. Anyone nostalgic?
The day and all the events are still so vivid.

Morning was as usual with some clouds but no rain. I and Brother went to college.
I reached Kalina (Kurla) around 1 PM to collect my Mark-sheets.
By the time I reached, it had started raining. 
Well, nothing unusual!

When I left in an hour, heavy rain drops were ready to make holes in umbrella.
I took the bus and thought I will be reaching home in 45 minutes. You keep raining!

And as soon as Bus reached near Sheetal Talkies, all vehicles stopped. None of them were moving.
Half an hour passed... I'm thinking it will clear out in few minutes.
45 Minutes... Everyone is sitting in the bus. I see people walking on the Road, in water.
What do I do? 😕

Then I decided to walk till Kurla station. It was not far, few minutes walk.
As I step down the Bus and keep my feet on Road, I feel the water.
It felt as if I'm obstructing a River who is in hurry to reach somewhere.

I joined others who were walking on the road towards Kurla station. Station was across the road.
I stand there and see couple of people trying to cross the road on their own. They fell in the water.

Okay I see the station and I can't even cross the road.
Now everyone was holding hands (remember Saakali) to cross the road and couple of people standing on the other side to pull us out of the water.
Alright, it is almost 5 PM, reached Kurla station; 💪 Woohoo and No trains, so much crowd... 
Damn, what does the indicator say? No Train.
Everyone is waiting, let's wait for some time.

None of the mobile services were working that time except for Reliance. Those were the days of Reliance Blue Screen Mobile Phone😂

An hour passed, then some people were started walking home. I had no clue. How do I go?
Can we walk on Railway Track please? No, Vidyavihar track is flooded.
Only way is to go via Chembur by road. That's awesome. 
Ghatkopar is just 10 minutes by train😳
Fine, I just want to go Home now.
In middle of all this, there was a random guy who offered me to stay at his home. I'm like Dude, I can't make it even worse. Get lost !  Well, It didn't sound this rude, I was polite. I couldn't afford any negative vibes in middle of this crisis. 😈

Started walking towards Chembur, still raining heavily. Oh my mark-sheets... I collected them just now.
Kids are playing in dirty water; Cauliflower was flowing; then there is gutter water mixed; I was walking with half body immersed in that WATER.
It was dark now. Finally, I reached Somaiya and then I felt relieved.
Few more minutes and there is the station. 

But it had to get more interesting. Few people were coming from that direction and I asked him how is it there? They said, water is 5ft high. Maybe First time in my life, I felt or say realized I was SHORT.
5ft 8ins - I could have tried walking.

Now what what what... I want to cry. 😰
I see PCO and call home to tell them I'm still alive. Mom says, Bro has also not come yet. He must be walking somewhere else.
Then I ask people on road, how do I go to Ghatkopar. They said, come with us, we will go from Highway. There won't be any water logging.

To reach station, we passed from Garodiya Nagar and again Water till Waist. 
Vehicles immersed in Water completely; Trees are fallen; There is no way to know if it is road or gutter opening. 
Hey it was lightening as well. God, I can't be dead here, they won't even get my body.

After walking for hours, I reached Ghatkopar station at 11.30 night.
Now home is only 2kms. Shall I walk? It is too dark. I'm tired.
What do I do? Stand on the station and leave in the morning. So many people are here.
Then, I heard, Females can stay at RJ college. Yeah, let's do that.
I stayed at college that night; slept on a chair; woke up at 6.30 morning.
I can walk now... 💃

I'm walking and still tired with last night's Walkathon. I see a Bike and ask for lift.
He gave me a ride.  
Bhagwaan Bhala karein | Thank you Thank you...

Finally reached home and asked my Brother, how did he come? Supposedly he as well reached Ghatkopar station around the same time as mine and he came home. He walked from Govandi via the same route that I took. 
Couldn't you find me?

People left their Bikes, Cars on the road; Stayed on the road, Stations.
First time Mumbai had no electricity for 2-3 days. Railway took 2-3 days to recover.
Remember my mark-sheet :(
No electricity no Water... And Mumbai was drowning in Water 

You must have a story of 26 July. How can you forget? Remember and Share...
You have survived it...

And, most importantly you have met Humans that day !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For The Sake of Civility

As I drive across the road, I see a dead body lying in the middle of the road; people driving around it to avoid driving over it. Its internal organs have come out of the anus or stomach, not sure. I just see something coming out of the body, like the intestine. I feel really bad and drive away. I see a boy on the bike, who also saw that body lying there and couldn't make up his mind whether he shall go back or move on like me or many others. After all, it was just a puppy, drenched in pouring rain, probably starved for a few days, weak. He stood there thinking, till I could see him, and then I drove ahead thinking the same if I should have stopped, moved that body aside and called municipal for picking it up.  I felt like vomiting, not sure due to the condition of that dead body or my inability to do something. It might have been a genuine accident case, but doesn't that puppy expect some basic respect? Can we term it as Hit-and-Run case or I'm just overreacting?

Dogs and Wanderers

As they say,  Life changes when you have a Kid and I say, it changes dramatically when you have a Pet. I have 2 beautiful bitches which most of you already know. I’m one of those first-time Pet Parents who want to do little more for their pets than daily walks of Potty and Pee. Nothing wrong with those walks, only that I wish to experience the feeling of having a pet in a different way. I want them to explore, go on long drives, see beaches, get dirty, and spread love.  Daag achchhe hote hain 😋 The hidden truth is my bitches love going out, even if it is for the whole day 🙄. And that’s the vision for  Dogs and Wanderers .  The group plans free local outings over the weekend at different Tekdis of Pune and once-a-month pocket-friendly overnight camping.   Yippie !!! And Dogs and Wanderers   is featured in Times of India today!   We have a lot of Pet Parents interested to join , which justifies the vision of this group. This group was formed to make it pos

For the love of Coffee

4 months since my last blog, I so missed it. But was too overwhelmed to write anything. Do you ask why?  Flashback flashback flashback !!! I'm raised in a family where I have interacted only with humans. That doesn't mean we looked down on other species. Just that we did not love them enough to make them member of house. Only animal that I had probably touched and adored would be Cat. They seem easy to be overpowered, thus harmless. Yeah I have got some good survival instincts! Then I grew up, keeping safe distance from non-Human species on earth. Even safer distance from Dogs after my brother got bitten by a crazy dog. You know, biting is still manageable, but injections... I will rather take longer route. And the day came, when it happened. I still don't believe how, so let's pass on the blame to Destiny. I  brought home a pet Dog. Yes, i t does all crazy stuff. 1 month female Doberman. She (for me it's she, not it) was on my lap, lic